Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Busy, busy, busy...

Had a busy weekend.  Friday started off great with another 3 mile walk with the dogs (in a BEAUTIFUL 80 something degrees if you can believe it).  Followed up the walk with another go at my up and coming personal practice...done outside this time in honor of the amazing morning that mother nature so kindly blessed us with.   I'm still learning/memorizing the sequence to the Ashtanga Primary Series, so it's a bit choppy with the flow still, and that tries to frustrate me at times...wanting to not interrupt the flow, as well as get as much practice in as possible for the time allotted.  But, I am staying patient and compassionate with myself, remembering it is all new, just layering one good foundational block on top of another...one yoga step at a time ;0)  

I did manage to do a REALLY long headstand unassisted by the wall again that day...a whole 7-10 seconds I think!! I have found (made up) a good little sudo-mantra, if you will, to help me with this pose...and well, probably any pose...especially the balance poses..."find your center".  Repeating this over and over is helping me actually find my center both physically and mentally, so yea for that discovery! 

And of course I am sure I got at least a little reading in...oh yes, I remember now, I enjoyed a cup of tea outside in the wonderful cool morning breeze we were blessed with, and read more about pranayama in chapter 6 of The Heart of Yoga.  I am trying to read a little something every day as best as I can.  Reading right now mostly from The Heart of Yoga and The Kind Diet.

Saturday:  made it over to APY for an awesome, energizing class with Kurt in the morning.  Boy did I need that little fix.  Always amazing!  Oh! And my Champion juicer arrived!  Woohoo!  Getting organized to start juicing very soon now!

Sunday:  A day off from my physical practice, and headed out for a round of golf.  If you have never played golf, then you may not understand, but golf is a really great place to practice your yoga!  So many challenges, so many tests of patience and character...and soooooo many chances to BREATHE! 

Monday:  FDOY!!! in DFW! Free Day of Yoga! I started out thinking I'd find lots of cool classes and studios to go check out...a "yoga studio crawl" of sorts, but as I perused the long and wonderful list of opportunities being offered at over 85 studios in the DFW area, I suddenly found myself enthralled with a few offerings that really stood out, all offered in one place:  The Alive & Healthy Institute.  They offered lectures and practice throughout the day in:  meditation, relaxation, prana dharana, yogic psychotherapy, and tantric yoga.  "Whoa! I gotta check that out," I thought.  So I enlisted my lil sis to join me, and she in turn enlisted another friend to join us.  We had a regular yoga posse formed now! So we decided to make it a day long dedication to all of these lectures...like one great big, day long FREE workshop! We attended lectures and practice from 7am-7 pm, making new friends and connections along the way.  We did manage to also squeeze in a 40 minute walk, so I'd say the day was a great success.  If you are interested in learning more about the science of breath, and the science of yoga (more than just the physical asanas of the practice), I would highly recommend checking out the Alive & Healthy Institute, in Dallas, TX.  They are a non-profit, mostly donation funded organization, that is truly committed to sharing all they have learned and experienced along their own personal yogic journeys with all who are seeking.  To find out more about the institute, the presenters, and classes/lectures offered, go to:  www.aliveandhealthy.com.

Today, Tuesday:  Had a doctor's appt, but timed it just right to have a good hour break afterward before attending class at APY again.  Shot over to Starbucks for a lovely Refresh tea, and got some good reading in from The Kind Diet.  Then it was off to class.  I took Stevan's class for the first time.  He was great! He teaches a really great flow! Left feeling good and in the om zone for the rest of the day. You know it's a good class when it lasts the rest of the day!

One last note:  I'm finding that starting each day with some good reading/seeking of true knowledge really sets a wonderful tone and motivation for the rest of my day.  Whatever I read I can take with me and contemplate, and perhaps even practice throughout the day.  Try it out...see if it doesn't help your days seem more meaningful and focused.

Gratitude:  Thank you mother nature for the amazing cooler weather last Thursday and Friday...it really energizes and refreshes my soul.  Thank you Kurt and Stevan for leading me through my practice. Thank you Alicia Silverstone, for your book, The Kind Diet.  You are helping me feel more confident in my nutrition decisions. Thank you Blair, Dr. Terri, Dr. Anne, Judy and Rob @ The Alive & Healthy Institute for donating your entire Labor Day to some hungry yogis.  And thank you Paul for listening to your instincts, not getting hurt when the heavy rain today made that wall fall down at work!  Namaste to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment