Thursday, September 16, 2010

Made my day!!

Here is a message I received from a friend today...made my day!! 

"Started yoga last week - you inspired me! The instructor was great, although he asked me if I was ok about 40 times (might be because I was purple). Forgot to breathe. Anyway he said I need to practice quieting my mind. I am not too good at that. I think I might need remedial yoga - do they have such a thing? I thought Beginners was as low as you could go. oh well."

My response went something like this:

"That is sooooooooo awesome! You made my day!! Sounds like you got a good teacher if he is telling you to concentrate on your breath and trying to quiet your mind. That is REALLY what the yoga is about...not really the poses and getting into shape. The physical stuff is a good side effect though :0) Keep it up! Be compassionate with yourself! That is a big one for me...the perfectionist...to try to remember all of the time. Remember to take little baby yoga steps. TAKE BREAKS when you need them. Do not be concerned with how much "better" others around you are. Progress not perfection! It will CHANGE your life if you are patient and stick with it. Try to commit to at least 3 days per week for at least one month. I guarantee the progress will sneak up on you without you even knowing it's happening. You don't have to go full blown right out of the gate...might get burnt out or discouraged if you do. You need to post comments on my blog for me so others can see how your journey is going!! Did you join as a follower yet? Please, please keep me posted on your yoga. I am so excited for you! :0)"

Now...on another note...I actually have to take a little break from my own physical yoga practice this next week or so :0( But for good reason: medical...instructed to take bed rest for a few days after a procedure I'm having done...breast augmentation...hahaha...just kidding ;0) So why am I telling the whole world this (well, all my faithful yogi/yogini followers anyway)?  Because I am committed to this blog, and to sharing my entire journey with all of you...and this is part of my journey thus far.  Anyway, Just letting you know so you can focus and send some of your good yoga energy my way. But don't worry, the little twists and turns that life throws my way won't slow me down...I have BIG plans to catch up on A LOT of my reading and search of true knowledge during these upcoming bed rest days.  


This brings me to the subject of one of my favorite forms of motivation in my yoga practice: setting your intentions at the beginning of class/practice on someone other than yourself (ie. doing your yoga for the good of someone else).  It's a GREAT way to stay motivated and strong during the tough parts of class. Every time you get frustrated or feel like quitting, you just remind yourself that you are doing this for that certain someone, or some certain cause you believe in. It's amazing how much more you can do when you are doing it in honor of someone else. Granted, hopefully you can get to a place where you remember to care for yourself enough to be able to do your yoga for YOU at times as well...but I think most people find this "doing your yoga for someone else" style a little easier when they first start out.  I know I sure did.
Good luck with your yoga adventures this week! I will check in with my thoughts on whatever I get read this next week (finishing The Heart of Yoga and then will start on the Bhagavad Gita probably).

Gratitude:  thank you to all who have taken an interest in my yoga journey.  Thank you for continuing on your own yoga journey with vigor and enthusiasm. And thank you for my wonderfully good health...I do not take you for granted. Namaste to you all.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog. It has helped me see that yoga consists of more than just strength, balance, and meditation. The way you explained how to start out doing yoga is the same theory I have on living life. Be compassionate, take small steps, don't compare yourself to others, focus on the well being being others. Hmmm ... getting closer to the idea of trying this yoga thing out.

    ReplyDelete